Gubbio Extends Hours!
These gates will now be open until 3pm
Thanks to a generous grant from The Celebrate Foundation, The Gubbio Project has extended "sacred sleep" hours! Previously, closing at 1:00pm, we are now able to be open until 3:00pm, an almost 30% expansion of service! Guests who come to rest can now lie down for over 8 hours.
We especially want to honor those behind The Celebrate Foundation for prioritizing safe, low-barrier day services for those who are homeless.The new schedule, which began in August 2013, is proving to be well-utilized already with 40-50 guests in the church each day at 2:00pm. We anticipate the numbers rising.
Below are quotes from guests in response to the question: "Why or why not do you feel welcome and/or belonging in our project?"
- "It is a place where you can find yourself!"
- "Make you feel at home."
- "Because Carlos and Tina treat people with love."
- "Because they are always there for the community. The Lady Tina is very helpful."
- "I'm not from here."
- "It's welcoming, most don't allow in church."
- "Grew up Catholic & Baptist, comfort in church."
- "It's the only home I have right now."
- "Staff are responsive and friendly. They take care of problems quickly and judiciously."
- "I'm not an animal, I'm a human being."
- "Cuz no choice, why I'm here."
Amanda is our new intern through Mennonite Voluntary Service. She has generously signed up to volunteer with us full-time for an entire year! Amazing! We are honored that Amanda has chosen to give a year of her life to benefit our project and the folks we serve.
While working here, she will divide her time between working in the Sanctuary as a Hospitality Monitor and in the office as "Donations Manager" along with other administrative and outreach duties.
Amanda hails from the great state of Iowa where she attended the University of Iowa and graduated with a degree in communications. In her free time Amanda enjoys rooting for her favorite team, the Lakers!
We are so excited to have Amanda on our team!