The Gubbio Project—Position Description
On-Call Hospitality Monitor – Part-Time
Organizational Description: The Gubbio Project provides hospitality and outreach to men and women seeking refuge from the streets during the daylight hours in St. Boniface Church in the Tenderloin and at The Episcopal Church of St. John in the Mission District of San Francisco. Inspired by Francis of Assisi’s solidarity with and love for the poor and outcast, The Gubbio Project works with people in a spirit of cooperation, connection, and community.
Position Description: The Hospitality Monitor is the person responsible for creating a safe, quiet, and welcoming environment in the church each weekday from 6 am to 2 pm, both for parishioners and for people coming in to sleep or access services.In doing so, they provide a consistent listening ear and presence; provide security for facility in a spirit of hospitality and inclusiveness; make supportive service referrals; work as a member of a team to ensure a quiet, clean, and safe space for sleep; maintain clean, accessible, and stocked restrooms throughout the day; and respond to medical emergencies and/or behavioral problems as they arise.
1) Demonstrated ability to engage with and accompany people who are experiencing homelessness, active drug use, mental illness, and other barriers to stability and health utilizing the modalities of harm reduction and self-help.
2) Flexibility, compassion, resourcefulness, and the ability to remain calm and to function professionally under stressful conditions.
3) Familiarity with and/or willingness to learn Harm Reduction, De-escalation, and Conflict Resolution techniques; Knowledgeable about resources for homeless people.
4) Ability to effectively resolve conflicts and to de-escalate potentially violent situations.
5) Ability to work professionally and ethically in a team setting.
6) Ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds.
7) Excellent interpersonal communication and active listening skills.
8) Ability to walk stairs, bend over, lift 25 lbs., see near and far in low light, and hear and speak in hushed tones.
9) Previous experience with poverty, homelessness, mental illness, incarceration, and/or substance use issues.
10) Bilingual Spanish/English preferred (but not required).
Hours/Schedule: We are recruiting for a part-time staff position. Must be willing and available to work between 5:45 a.m. - 2:45 p.m., Monday – Friday.
Deadline: Position open until filled.
To apply: Send resume to email@example.com, along with a cover letter explaining why you would be interested in working as a part-time Hospitality Monitor at The Gubbio Project.